Chengdu - Famous for Pandas
As China powers ahead, it would be easy to believe there’s no time for relaxation. Not so in Chengdu - and not so on our Chengdu tours.
Chengdu has a well-earned reputation for its relaxed lifestyle, slower pace and for its favorite residents – the world’s largest population of pandas. On a Chengdu tour, you will visit China’s national treasures at the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding or visit Dujiangyan Panda Base. Take in the region’s traditional food with a walk along Jinli Street and admire the world’s largest stone Buddha statue and picturesque Jiuzhaigou.
Chengdu is hot, humid and busy with local tourists in summer, and while temperatures drop to single digits in cooler months, there is always a warm welcome, tea and Sichuan hotpot to enjoy.
With both single day and multi-day Chengdu tours available, experience Chengdu via one of our small group tours with a set itinerary. For a more relaxed pace and personalized experience, take in the sites with your own personal Chengdu tour guide on a private Chengdu tour.
Visitors to Chengdu can join one of our multi-day Chengdu tours or book a standalone Chengdu tour. Depending on time, you may choose a one day Chengdu tour or arrange a longer stay by choosing from the longer Chengdu tours, which are available in the capital of Sichuan province located in China’s southwest.
With pandas high on the list of Chengdu’s highlights, it may be hard to believe there’s more to see and do in this city – but there is. Check out just some of the highlights you’ll enjoy on a Chengdu tour.
- Leshan giant Buddha – Be amazed at this 71-meter high statue built during the Tang dynasty over a thousand years ago, carved out of a sandstone cliff face at the confluence of the Min and Dadu rivers. The statue faces Mount Emei, near the town of Leshan.
- Mount Emei – Soak up the breathtaking views from one of the four sacred Buddhist mountains in China at the western rim of the Sichuan Basin.
- Wannian Monastery – Wonder at the engineering miracle of construction that has survived an incredible 18 earthquakes to leave the spectacle of the five halls and statues regarded as a rare national treasure.
- Baoguo Temple – A Buddhist temple, the second oldest surviving wooden structure in southern China, with the main hall dating back to 1013.
- Chengdu Research Base of Giant Pandas – Nowhere else in the world can you get such a complete appreciation of these amazing wonders of nature, giant pandas, and record your experience with them in photographs. See the breeding program, delivery room, and compelling baby pandas.
- Jinli Street – So much of what China has to offer is ancient. Commerce in Jinli Street that has been going on for 2000 years continues today for you to experience and enjoy Sichuan food and markets.
- Wangjiang Pavilion Park – Wonder at the architecture, history, and conservation to be found Wangjiang Pavilion complex in the heart of Chengdu. The pavilion grounds hold a memorial to a beloved poet Xue Tao, established during the Tang dynasty. Bamboo gardens containing 150 different varieties are a tribute to the poet Xue who loved bamboo, as well as a remarkable effort to conserve an important food source for the pandas.
When in Chengdu, be sure to check in with your local guide to ask how you can experience more in this unique China destination – our Chengdu tours create great travel memories:
- Experience food Sichuan-style – For an authentic culinary experience visit one of Chengdu’s fine hot pot dinners. Flavorsome and fun, hot pot is a wonderful way to meet the locals and eat as they do.
- Be entertained – Chengdu’s nightlife exposes the lighter side of China’s cultural history with its gorgeously ornate costumes and masks, ear-piercing opera, and hilarious Chinese slapstick, on a Chengdu tour with us you’ll experience a different side of China not often seen.
- Drink tea – Tea culture originated in Chengdu making it the ideal place to take time and savor tea. Visit one of the many traditional tea houses, meet connoisseurs, learn about leaves, sip slowly, and breathe. The perfect way to spend an afternoon in Chengdu.
- Get up close with pandas – For an extra special panda experience, visit Dujiangyan Panda Base. By making a donation (check costs when booking your Chengdu tour with us), you can sit with these gorgeous animals and understand more about what makes them so lovable.
- Extend your tour – Experience more of what China has to offer, many of our popular China tour packages include not only Chengdu but other exciting Chinese destinations and attractions, join one of our many small group tours – or ask us for a custom tour designed to your specifications.
Booking a private or custom Chengdu tour with ChinaTours.com provides the flexibility to accommodate individual travel schedules. This allows you to take a Chengdu tour at your own pace and means more time to hear from your knowledgeable local guide who’ll be focused on providing you with the most authentic experience of this diverse and interesting city.
To discuss Chengdu tours with us in relation to your needs and make special arrangements, just get in touch.